Monday 7 April 2014

Theatre // *Hairspray @ Curve Theatre Leicester*

As many people may know I have seen countless musicals, plays, dance pieces performed at the Curve Theatre in Leicester, but I can say honestly that Paul Kerryson's Hairspray is the best I have seen yet!
 


On this occasion I didn't get to see the show until it was in it's final week, as we were going for my mother's birthday. Hairspray had a five weeks run from Friday 28th February through until Saturday 5th April. It is an infectious and heart-warming musical that was fun for everyone and it is a huge shame it is over now!
 
On the outside Hairspray is a fun-filled musical, but the underneath issues of segregation and racism are touched upon in this show wonderfully. From the get go of the first few chords of "Good Morning Baltimore" sang by lead protagonist Tracey Turnblad by Rebecca Craven (Waterloo Road), I had the biggest grin on my face.
 
The highlights of the show for me personally include the duet between Tracey's parents Edna and Wilbur played by the lovely Damian Williams and John Barr, each seemed to have a real passion and enjoyment of what they were doing. Claudia Kariuki as Motormouth Maybelle had me an emotional wreck during her rendition of "I know where I've been" and of course the finale song "You Can't Stop the Beat" I loved having the excuse to get up and dance when the cast egged the audience on!
 
As a whole the cast performed brilliantly; Zizi Strallen as Penny Pingleton had me in stitches the entire way through, Tyrone Huntley as Seaweed worked some magic on that stage and David Witts as Link Larkin didn't entirely do it for me, maybe he was a bit too sweet for me (I don't really do pretty boys ha). But on the whole I was captivated by this show and have been singing the songs continuously since especially "Mama I'm a big girl now".
 
Thank you for taking the time to read!
 
xoxo
 
Upcoming reviews will include McBusted @ NEC, Miley Cyrus @ NEC & Birdsong @ Curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment