Saturday 21 June 2014

Theatre // *Birdsong @ Curve Theatre Leicester*

A few weeks back I had the pleasure of going to see Sebastian Faulk's Birdsong at Curve Theatre, Leicester. The tickets had been purchased for me by my Grandparents for my 23rd birthday so I had been looking forward to seeing this play since April! It certainly did not disappoint! I found myself completely absorbed into what was happening on stage, I laughed and I cried, it was honestly one of the best pieces of theatre I have seen in a long time!

Here is what the play is about (according to the curve website: link here) -

"In pre-war France, young Englishman Stephen Wraysford embarks on a passionate and dangerous affair with the beautiful Isabelle Azaire that turns their world upside down.
As the war breaks out over the idyll of his former life, Stephen must lead his men through the carnage of the Battle of the Somme and through the sprawling tunnels that lie deep underground. Faced with the unprecedented horror of the war, Stephen clings to the memory of Isabelle as his world explodes around him."

I have always loved anything to do with the Great War in particular literary. During Year 9 of high school we studied the Great War in our History lessons. We got the opportunity to go to Belgium and it was wonderful, we visited trenches, museums and burial grounds. Whilst I was an A-Level English Literature student I studied First World War poetry and the works of Siegfried Sassoon.

Anyway back to Birdsong, the play is an adaptation of the book by Sebastian Faulk (which is on my to read list!) and was written by Rachel Wagstaff. This adaptation was directed by Alastair Whatley. It truly was amazing, if it is on at a theatre near you, I very much recommend going to see it.

The Curve is a fabulous theatre with plenty of innovative work to see.
Some musicals and plays I would recommend going to see to finish this season are -
  • Curve's community production of Annie (I already have my tickets!) 26 July - 10 August.
  • Curve's community production of Rent (very excited to see this one!) 31 July - 7 August.

Thanks for reading xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment